Saturday, August 4, 2018

One Month Mark : Things We Miss









Just like that, our time in Adelaide is 1/5 done. It's hard to believe that we've passed the one month mark of life Down Under. Overall we are having a really great time, but here is a list of some things that we miss:

Image result for grey toyota sienna image

1. Our minivan!!
Man, life is different without a car. And while overall I'm surprised by how much I like living in a city, things are just more complicated without your own set of wheels. Relying on the schedule of the bus is hard. Not having a car to stash all your heavy bags of groceries in is hard. When the 2 mile trek to school takes 25 minutes by walking and city bus, that's hard. I just miss the freedom and convenience I took for granted with a car. With that said, we acknowledge that it's good we aren't trying to drive here. I'm quite certain we'd probably injure someone, forgetting what side of the road we're supposed to be on.

2. Loco! 
He would be #1 on everyone else's list (Except mine. I really miss that car.). We know he's in good hands with our renters, but the boys talk about Loco every day. It will be interesting to see if he even remembers us when we return - how good is a cat's memory?

Image result for pepperoni pizza image

3. Pepperoni pizza
Pizza here is just not the same. And the "pepperoni" here has more of a salami taste. Which is fine, but not preferred on pizza. Even the cheese is different. There isn't a pizza place on every corner, and pizza delivery doesn't seem to be a thing here. The last meal we ate before leaving was at Pizza Ranch. . . we must have known :)

Related image

4. A yard
Our apartment is very adequate, but it has no yard to speak of. In general, houses don't seem to have big back yards. This is hard when the boys are bouncing off the walls, and I can't tell them to go run around outside in the backyard, like I would at home. With that said, I'm pretty sure Kedron doesn't miss all that mowing!

Image result for R image
5. The letter R
Yes, yes, the Australian accent is charming. Up to a point. But sometimes I don't want to shop at Tahhh-get and K-mahh-t, I want to shop at TaRget and K-MaRRt (K-Mart is way better in Australia, by the way). Seriously, no one here could ever tell a pirate joke.  

But don't get me wrong - we really are having a good time. I know we'll have a longer list of things we're sad to leave behind, in 4 months' time!

No comments:

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...