Saturday, November 10, 2018

And you think Americans start celebrating Christmas early. . .

I'm taking a quick detour from our Sydney trip to talk about. . . Christmas! One of Adelaide's signature events is their annual Christmas Pageant, which we attended today. On November 10. Yes, that's early. But with no Thanksgiving to celebrate (and they barely celebrate Halloween), why not start the Christmas season early??

This is definitely a 'go really early or you won't get a seat' type of event. Fortunately, almost everyone lets the kids sit at the front, no matter when they show up. Australians sure are nice!


We were surprised to see Star Wars characters!



It was (quoting Eli here) a "skin meltingly-hot day" (actually it was only 71 degrees, but this Aussie sun is so intense!) but I'm sure Chewbacca was sweltering.



A big difference between this parade and others I've seen: clowns. There were a LOT of clowns in this parade. Probably over a hundred. 

 


I believe I remember reading somewhere that you can actually apply to be a clown in this parade, and it's a really big deal to get selected! Unfortunately, 50% of the Bardwells have a strong reaction to clowns (and it's not a positive one) but in the light of day, they were OK.


Eli's favorite float was this one: it had a ball track where the balls rolled along.


 This was Micah's favorite: penguins racing down a slide!


Fruchocs. This means nothing to people in the US, but Fruchocs are the best thing ever invented. They are worth a trip to Australia just to try them. Here's Mr Fruchoc!!


Now you KNOW it's getting serious when the 3 wise men on real camels show up for the parade!


And. They did it. The nativity on a float.


I'm so glad Mary and Joseph could take time away from raising our Lord and Savior to wave at the bystanders.


Of course, why end the parade there, with the actual reason for Christmas (although cheesily done) when there is SANTA?? Actually, it was kind of fun to hear all the kids get excited to see him. I guess on November 10, his availability is pretty wide open. 


Sarcasm aside, this was a very nice event, and I'm glad we braved the crowds to do one more signature "Adelaide" event before we leave in 2 weeks!

No comments:

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...