Sunday, February 17, 2019

My last ocean-related post. Which I'm posting on a super snowy day in Iowa, so I may need a moment.

Yes, all the Bardwells are really missing the ocean. Or maybe we're just missing warmth in general. Or sunshine. Or any temperature above freezing. Or being able to see the grass. But I digresss.

After we returned from the Gold Coast, we had only a week and a half before flying home for good. We opted not to put the boys back in school for this time. .. because. . .to quote a phrase we heard on Aussie reality TV. . . 'Why WOULD ya?'

And. . . in an apparent plot to make us ready to return home, the weather turned fairly cold in our final days. So on our last 'hot' day in the country, we took a trip to Port Noralunga.


Kedron and I had been here before (with the Govigs when they visited!), but the boys had not. The water felt great on this warm day! These boys have grown quite fond of the ocean.


I really do love the ocean, but I'll be honest - I do NOT miss the sand that always managed to come home with us afterwards. I can't imagine why so much of it ended up in our bags. . .


Port Noralunga has a long jetty (we'd call it a pier in the US). At the end of a jetty, in low tide, you could see the large sandbar that spanned this area (and could swim out and stand on it in low tide too!). We were there in higher tide, so just a few rocks were visible.



There were lots of fishermen on the dock, and, in our first trip here (again with the Govigs), we saw them catch squid!


"What did you do today, Eli?"
"Oh, I just skipped rocks in the Indian Ocean. Nothing special."
I really hope the boys remember all the little details of this trip for years to come :)

 A rare picture of us!! Micah became a decent cameraman over these last few months.

Oh, we miss this place. Especially on a cold Iowa day like today.



1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I recognized the location of the first pic right away! :)

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...