Micah was being crabby yesterday so we decided to go outside and play. We exited our lower level deck door, with Micah going first, running into our backyard. I then stepped outside, when, OH MY GOSH THERE IS A POSSUM 5 FEET AWAY FROM ME!! That's right, a possum just relaxing right up next to our house in a corner by the retaining wall. Now, I have had a possum encounter before and those creatures always gross me out. So, did I immediately run out towards Micah, to protect my innocent child from what could be a possibly dangerous or rabid beast?? No, I screamed a phrase that rhymes with "go spit" and cowered back inside the house. That's right, I just left Micah to fend for himself against a potentially dangerous animal.
After a few moments I mustered up enough courage to step outside. Mind you, the possum looks rather serene sitting in the corner, in no mood to pick a fight. But I was still scared out of my mind. I finally passed in front of it, ran to Micah, and led us both up onto the deck to safety. I don't think Micah even noticed the beast. Tragedy averted. My courageous husband then chased the varmint around with the garden hose until it left our yard. Ick.
In lighter backyard news, here is a video of Micah and his new (and by "new" I mean a recent garage sale find) slide. It's definitely a grandparent-level interest video, but it will get any nasty images of a possum out of your mind.
4 comments:
Possums are the grossest animals EVER!! I would have totally freaked and probably ran back in the house too! :) Cute video! I'm actually loading a video of Kyler going down the exact same slide (also new to him), as we speak!!
NAST!!! I HATE those things!!!
My mom has a funny story about trying to get a possum off of the fence in the middle of the night while the dog is trying to get it and barking like a madman. Have to say they are nasty and I don't blame you a bit!
Nice sliding, Micah! (How close is that post? My initial reaction was, "go spit! He's going to hit the post!" ;)
Harry has developed a strange aversion to the slide. :( We'll have to have Micah show him there's nothing to be scared of!
Post a Comment