Micah is getting to the age where we probably should be reading him nursery rhymes. We have a few Mother Goosey-type books, and Micah seems to enjoy reading them. Then again, he enjoys pretty much any book.
I often find myself putting his nursery rhyme books on a higher shelf so Micah won't pick them. If I'm being totally honest (brace yourself here for a moment of true confession), I don't like reading nursery rhymes! Are they even relevant any more? Sure, the rhythm and rhymes are nice and I know they probably help with language development. . . blah blah blah. They are outdated and weird.
Do I want my boys learning about 3 mice whose tails were cut off with a knife? Will their lives really be enriched by a weasel who apparently goes pop? What does that even MEAN?
How about it, Moms? Team Ma Goose or Team Sandra Boynton?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How to help Australia
We've been following the news of our beloved Australia. Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...
-
In Adelaide, we typically spent Saturdays visiting someplace new: a beach, a parkland, etc. And with so much to do, we rarely did the same t...
-
All right ladies and gentlemen, it's time to wage your bets on when Baby Bardwell will make his/her arrival. To play, leave a comment w...
-
I will be sending out an email soon, but thought our blog buddies should be some of the first to know. . . Baby Bardwell #2 will be arriving...
4 comments:
I understand your dilemma. How many stories do you want your child to read that end in death? Hello Brothers Grim?!! What were you thinking?! Have you thought about modernized versions? There are updated versions of tales from authors like Joan M. Wolf that are entertaining, based on current issues in society and also don't all end in death or happily ever after :)
Moo Baa LaLa all the way! It's SB Team for me. My mom sent Aedyn a nursery rhyme book that has a horrible voice recording of 'mother goose.' It's terrifying! It ends with "Rock-a-bye-baby." Who thought singing about a child's plummet to death was endearing!
We balance both and tons more books. The nursery rhymes really are great for language development. They're easy to say (Harry will say the last word of each line), and by the time he gets to the age where understanding the complexity of the rhymes, he'll have moved on to other books with more complex sentences. Honestly, I'm not worried about it. I didn't have nightmares of falling off of tree branches!
Just a warning, if you read to Micah about Noah and the flood you might want to skip Genesis 9:21. When he is in 7th grade you can send him to me and I will explain what its all about.
Post a Comment