We continue to make updates to the first floor of Yellow House. We painted the kitchen way back in January. I've just recently oiled the cupboards, changed the hardware, and hung a little decor on the walls. If we're feeling brave, we might change the flooring this summer, but for now these improvements will do!
The old hardware from the previous owner was truly terrible (but if you disagree with me, I have a bag of 30 of these old flowery ceramic knobs that you can have!).
The cupboards were really beat up looking, but a little wood oil/vegetable oil treatment took care of most of the scratches.
5 comments:
Wow, Rach! That looks so great! And I also loved the new look of your living room, too. I especially love the BARDWELL above the window....I'm guessing that you may have made that? Could you please tell me more about the treatment you used on your cabinets. Some of ours are beyond beat-up looking, and I just haven't been aggressive in looking for a solution (other than whining about wanting a new kitchen, which isn't exactly realistic at the moment!). I really need to come see your new home sometime. Hope all is well!
awesome! way to go rachel!!
Carrie - I used Old English Lemon Oil on the cupboards. Just follow the directions on the bottle. This made most of the scratches on my cupboards disappear instantly! In a couple weeks, though, some of the scratches were starting to show through again. So I used regular cooking vegetable oil (like soybean or canola oil) just as I used the wood oil, and that hid the scratches again. We'll see, though, if I have to keep re-treating periodically to keep the scratches hidden.
I should say though, that I tried both the wood oil and vegetable oil on the wooden bay window in the kitchen, and the results weren't quite as good. It got out some of the scratches and shined up the surface, but that wood is sun and water damaged, and probably needs to be refinished completely.
Good luck with your cupboards, and yes, you do need to come visit me some time!
Rach - Before I read your above comment, I looked around a bit on the internet. Found lots of good things about "Victorian House Products." Specifically, the finish rejuvinator. Looks like you can only buy through their website, and it's like $23 per bottle, but may be worth a shot if you keep needing to treat. Think I might look into it...if I do, I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for the info!
It looks great Rachel!! I love the color and the BARDWELL above the window!
(And I want to come visit too! Maybe we can all do a pool day this summer!?)
Post a Comment