Friday, August 17, 2018

The new Kohls in my life

For anyone who knows me well, you know I spend a lot of money at Kohls. I am a sucker for their 30% off coupons. More days than not, I'm wearing at least one piece of clothing that was purchased at Kohls (including today, as I type this!).

Anyway, here in Australia, there is a new Kohls in my life:  Coles!!


OK - so Coles is a grocery store, but I spend a lot of time either in this store, or shopping online. Coles offers really cheap (or even free) grocery delivery, AND since there is no tipping in Australia, you don't even have to tip the delivery person! Think about how many groceries you buy each week. . . and then imagine trying to get them all home without a car :)  This is why I love Coles!

Coles is now doing a weird little promotion that the boys and I have (unfortunately) become obsessed with. For every $30 you spend, you get a little plastic mystery bag:
Image result for coles little shop bag image
(This is not my hand - I had to google an image since we've thrown all our bags away)

Inside the bags are miniature versions of 30 different products that you can buy at Coles. For instance, how about a tiny yogurt? How cute!

Tiny hand soap? We've got it!

Need some mini dog food? We have two. 

Eli's fave: Tim Tams!!
( Have I blogged about Tim Tams yet? I will. They are the best thing in Australia.)

Even diapers and Vicks Vapo Rub look cute when they're tiny:
Micah's favorite: mini toilet gel!
(Maybe next he'll become interested in learning to clean a toilet?!!?)

So, people are CRAZY for these little things. Coles sells a collection case for people to store their minis in; and there are additional accessories you can buy (like a mini shopping cart). Facebook is flooded with people trying to swap their doubles for the ones they don't have yet (since they come in a mystery bag, you can't pick out the one you want). There are even "Coles Little Shop Swap Groups" you can join on FB. They are selling on ebay. Coles had a swap day in their stores - we didn't go, but apparently it was a zoo! It is ridiculous, and we kind of love it.

Here is our whole collection so far. We have 16 of the 30 collectibles, and 23 overall:


We have yet to decide whether we'll go to the work of swapping to get a complete set of 30, or just selling what we have before we leave to come home. What's your vote? Sell, or bring home?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bring them home!!! What a fun memory!

Julie said...

Did you know you can get Tim Tams in the US? Target has them! (And World Market, too - that's where I first discovered them). They are soooo yummy! So when you get back to the States, it will feel like you never left Australia. :-)

Rachel Bardwell said...

Julie - we've eaten many of the USA Tim Tams, and they're not quite as good as the ones here. Plus, there are a LOT more flavors (or flavours, as they'd say here) available: Mint, white chocolate, etc.

Unknown said...

So fun! You have to bring them home. :) Along with lots of authentic Tim Tams, apparently!

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...