Thursday, July 17, 2008

A English Question

Lately I've been speaking in the 3rd person; calling myself "Mommy," when talking to Micah. You know, like "Don't throw your cheerios at Mommy," or "Micah, you look just like Mommy with your stunning good looks," you get the idea.

So I'm not sure what to do when these "Mommy" sentences involve a pronoun. I could continue in the 3rd person and say, "Mommy doesn't like it when you lick her leg." That sounds like Mommy is someone else. But switching to the 1st person with "Mommy doesn't like it when you lick my leg," just sounds wrong. Should I just dump the "Mommy" sentences altogether?

I know there are many educated people who read this blog. Please weigh in.

8 comments:

Dave Camwell said...

I say worry about the grammar after Micah starts calling you Mommy!! :)

Jillian Camwell said...

That was actually me commenting...didn't realize Dave was still signed in!

Jillian Camwell said...

But it's actually "An English Question". ;)

Vitamin Z said...

I like to refer to myself as "Daddy". As in, "Daddy likey".

Rachel Bardwell said...

Oh, Zach. I don't know why that still cracks me up:) So would you say "Daddy likey his guitar" or "Daddy likey my guitar"?

Anonymous said...

I don't think it matters much whether you continue in 3rd person or switch; it's wrong either way. Strictly speaking, unless you are major league baseball's all-time stolen base leader or Bob Dole, you shouldn't ever refer to yourself in 3rd person.

Anonymous said...

I believe this happens to ALL of us.

Anonymous said...

From what I have read...I would go with the first one. I think that helps kids tie the language stuff together a little better...

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...