Friday, December 18, 2009

My experiments with homemade baby food

I am frugal. OK, a better word is cheap. In an attempt to save money, I thought I'd try my hand at making some of Eli's baby food. My ONLY motive for making it by hand was to save money. I don't care about the supposed nutritional benefits; just saving money. I know. I'm bad.

My expectations were that I'd be able to save money on some of the cheaper veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots) but not as much, if any, on the fruits (peaches, pears). I used the cheapest ingredients I could find and compared it to the cheapest baby food I could find--Del Monte brand at WalMart, which for runs 46 cents for a 4 oz jar. Here are my very unscientific results:

CARROTS
Difficulty level: medium
Savings: 4 cents/oz; 16 cents/jar
Verdict: Even after food processing, the texture was not as smooth as jarred. But still, I'd give it a PROBABLY WORTH IT.

SWEET POTATOES
Difficulty level: easy
Savings: 7 cents/oz; 28 cents/jar
Verdict: I scored some super cheap sweet potatoes. Both Eli and Micah love mashed sweet potatoes, so we use them all the time. DEFINITELY WORTH IT.

ACORN SQUASH/BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Difficulty level: easy
Savings: 5 cents/oz; 20 cents/jar
Verdict: DEFINITELY WORTH IT. We all eat squashed squash!

GREEN BEANS
Difficulty level: medium to hard
Savings: 3 cents/oz; 12 cents/jar
Verdict: The texture is grainy no matter how much I blend them, and Eli won't eat them. NOT WORTH IT.

PEARS
Difficulty: easy
Savings: 1 cent/oz; 4 cents/jar
Verdict: NOT WORTH IT

APPLESAUCE
I sometimes make this from apples given to me (definitely worth it obviously). Usually, though, I buy a big jar of the unsweetened applesauce in the canned fruits section.
Savings: 7 cents/oz; 28 cents/jar
Verdict with jar of applesauce: DEFINITELY WORTH IT

BANANAS
Difficulty: super easy
Savings: I have not calculated the savings of just mashing a banana, but I guess it to be significant.
Verdict: Sadly, Eli doesn't like the texture. We haven't tried the jarred because i keep hoping he'll come around. But for Micah as a baby, it was DEFINITELY WORTH IT.

APPLES AND BLUEBERRIES
Eli loves the HyVee brand of this flavor, which is 50 cents/jar. It is tricky to know what the ratio is of apples to blueberries, so it's difficult to know if you're saving money. Supposing the ratio is half and half. . .
Difficulty: medium--and very messy
Savings: If the jar is half blueberries, I am losing money making it myself. If it's less than that, I would break even or maybe save a couple cents per oz.
Verdict: NOT WORTH IT.

So my suspicions for the most part were confirmed. It helped that we had a small food processor. I did spend $1 on ice cube trays to freeze the food. If you have to buy a bunch of equipment to get started, that may negate any money you end up saving. I know several of you readers have made baby food yourselves, so please feel free to share your own experiences!

2 comments:

Shadley said...

Once Eli gets big enough to eat a variety of foods- it will save you even more because you can puree whatever you are eating and that is definitely worth it!!

Jillian Camwell said...

Same experience with green beans here. It's that darn hard stringy texture I couldn't get rid of.

Have you tried pureeing your own peas yet? Using frozen peas, it is super easy, cheap and I'd say worth it!

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...