Monday, December 14, 2009

Something really wonderful happened to me yesterday!


Seven and a half (almost eight) years ago, I splurged and bought a Columbia winter coat, seen here in our recent snowstorm. It was on sale for $115, but I am really frugal and remember thinking that I was crazy to spend this much on a coat. My friends assured me a Columbia coat would last me forever. Well, it has been a great coat, but last spring, the zipper pull tab broke off. I tried everything I could think of in its place (paperclip, craft wire, ribbon, fishing line) but nothing worked for longer than a week or two. Recently, friends told me to take the coat to Scheels, where I purchased it, and they would fix it since it's a Columbia coat. After some online research and calling Scheels, I confirmed that this coat has a lifetime warranty on zippers etc, and Scheels would send it to Columbia to fix it for me. Great news; I really love this coat and it has plenty of wear left.

So yesterday I took the coat to Scheels and asked the nice customer service woman there to mail the coat to Columbia for me. You can imagine my surprise when she told me that I could pick out a BRAND NEW coat and she'd just do an exchange! Seriously? Yes - she even checked with a manager. I didn't even need my receipt (they didn't ask how old the coat was, and I didn't volunteer that info :) SO. . . I entered the store with a 7 1/2 year old coat with a broken zipper pull, and left the store with a brand new (regular price $260, on sale for $180) coat!!

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Well done!

RT said...

Maybe I should try that! My zipper pull is broken too. I could use a different size too though! Maybe that's not in the deal. :)

Rachel Bardwell said...

Govigs: I traded a small for a medium; nobody said anything.

safmomma said...

WHAT?! That is AWESOME! I, seriously, am amazed! We've had Mark's zipper fixed, but didn't get a new coat. Maybe we'll have to come your way to replace zippers in the future. I'm truly happy for you!

RT said...

Maybe we'll have to give it a try then! :) And if they only fix the zipper, then that means I'll have to have more motivation to fit back into it!

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...