Friday, March 19, 2010

Rachel's LOST Predictions

WARNING: This post will not be interesting to many of you. If you have not faithfully watched LOST for the last 5 1/2 seasons, it won't even make sense. Skip it. I promise to post more pic's of the boys soon.

The reason for the island: After watching last week's episode, I think it's pretty obvious. The island/Jacob's main job is to contain the smoke monster. The monster was somehow trapped there long ago, and something about the special properties of the island keep him there, so he can't wreak havoc on the rest of the world. So through the years, Smokey has taken on many forms (man in black, currently Locke) in an elaborate attempt to find a way off the island to bring destruction to the rest of the world. Jacob's main purpose is to keep him contained, and to keep the island "in order" so that it can continue to contain the smoke monster.

Widmore: I'm not sure how Widmore fits in to things yet. I've always thought he was really bad, so I don't know if he wants to destroy the monster, or use it for his own personal gain.

The Flash Sideways: The main point of these seems to be to determine how capable the characters are of change. Look at how differently Ben and Locke are - they are much different people in their flashes than they were before. Sayid and Sawyer - not so much. Sawyer in particular seems to have exactly the same motives but is going about it differently. Also the flashes highlight the fact that, island or not, these characters are destined to be deeply connected, for some reason yet to be revealed.

Hurley: I'm going out on a limb here, but he has always in my opinion been central to the show. I predict that when it's time for his flash sideways episode, we're going to see either Jacob or something island-related pop up. I think Hurley is the key to figuring out how the flashes fit with the island timeline.

All right, I know at least a few of you are LOST fans so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. This show has clearly made me embrace my inner sci-fi geek :)

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hi. My name is Heidi and I'm a LOST addict. I watched the first 3 seasons in about 3 months on Netflix. Now I can hardly wait until I can put my kids to bed each Tuesday to watch LOST online.

Rachel Bardwell said...

Girlfriend, I am SO with you. I listen to podcasts and everything. Let's start a support group. Can't WAIT until tomorrow to find out what the deal is with Richard!!

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...