Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Adelaide Central Market!

Today has had its ups and downs - we tried our first program at the local library - with mixed results. I will say that it has been exhausting to have to deal with so many new and unfamiliar things, every day (especially for Micah and me; Ked and Eli seem to be not as overwhelmed). I think I'll write more on the difficult parts of our adventure later on :)

This afternoon, we visited the Adelaide Central Market for the first time. It won't be the last!  This is sort of like an indoor Farmer's Market that sells everything you might imagine. Most retailers sell food related items, but there were also small lunch restaurants, coffee and smoothie shops, some clothing items, and even a bookstore!



I never thought I'd ever say this, but I wish the US used the metric system. Shopping has been quite difficult when everything is sold by the kilogram! Food overall is more expensive here. We found that this market did have some good deals, if you were willing to shop around.



Need smelly cheese? We found just the place!


There were several places selling sweets and desserts, including chocolate fondue from a fountain!



Of course, the boys wanted (but did not get) these:


 Mmm. . . olives. . .

 

Need a bucket full of curry, anyone?


After our visit, the boys were craving pizza! Pizza is not as popular here as it is in the US. Rather than a pizza place on every corner, you really have to seek one out. Also, pepperoni isn't quite the same here. . . it has more of a half salami/half pepperoni taste. Anyway - we ate supper here, at a restaurant called Australia's Pizza House:


I laughed at the sign - I would have preferred fake prices :)


3 comments:

Rachel Farley said...

I am loving your posts! Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sharing life there with us. Praying for some routine. Love to all!

Margaret said...

Great to follow along, Rachel - good luck with the bus commute to school. Another new experience you will get used to. Canadian public schools get full too and students have to get to the next one with space. All to do with school populations grow up but families don’t move so you get an empty school in an older neighborhood and costs too much to keep building new schools for a 20 year occupancy spell. Keep writing!

Margaret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...