Saturday, July 21, 2018

So even science is different here.

Earlier this week, we went to a "pop up" (a trendy catchphrase I've heard a lot since we've been here) Science Fair for kids. Basically it is group of travelling exhibits and workshops; most of which focused on Space. The Bardwells all love a good time with Space, so we decided to check it out.


First up: the Starlab! I remember these from Jr High - it's a big bubble that you crawl in and they display the stars inside. So we crawled in and I immediately realized we aren't in the US any more. . . where was the Big Dipper? I didn't see it anywhere. The Little Dipper? North Star? Cassiopeia (the one shaped like a W)? All nowhere to be found. But the narrator guy says, "Does anyone see a constellation they know?" and I'm thinking. . .uhh no. . . but then EVERYONE shouts out, "The Southern Cross!"  Umm, what now?

Image result for southern cross

Turns out - the Southern Hemisphere has different stars visible in their night sky. And the Southern Cross is their version of the Big Dipper; it is the most recognizable constellation, and you can use it to find the South Pole (much like you can use the Big Dipper to find the North Star).

Image result for southern cross

Also turns out - the Australian Flag contains the Southern Cross! How did I not know this?

Image result for australian flag image

So, we had a great time at the Science fair, and even Mommy learned something new!

No comments:

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...