Monday, July 23, 2007

My Lament

Don't get me wrong; we are THRILLED to be having a baby in a month (my due date is exactly a month from today!). However, I am realizing that part of preparing for parenthood is to mourn some things about couplehood that will be ending. Here are some of the things I will miss:
  • Deciding, "Let's go to Walmart/Restaurant/etc.," and being out the door in under 5 minutes.
  • Being able to sleep in until 8:30 or 9:00am on weekends.
  • Carrying a small purse.
  • Going to friends' houses and staying out as late as we want, without arranging childcare or being home before someone's bedtime.
  • Having (for the most part) an uncluttered home, without toys and baby gear everywhere.
  • Watching TV and movies without caring about the content and its effect on kids.
  • Having nice, breakable decor on low end tables.
  • Being able to take long showers EVERY day with time to do my hair.
  • Lots and lots of time spent as a couple, just the two of us.
Now I know that the things we'll be gaining will outweigh these things, but I think it's OK to grieve the passing of this stage in our lives. For you parents out there, is there anything in particular that you miss about life before kids?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss? No. It's kind of like it was just a different season. It's funny, with Lily being 2 now, I'm back to doing a lot of those things on your list again. They just grow so fast.Sometimes, I miss the quietness, the noise level is outrageous right now...but then I miss the loudness when it's gone.

Shadley said...

Rach-
First, you are about the most prepared, most realistic expectant parent I have ever heard from. You actually understand what it means to be a parent and you aren't in Lala land, which will make the transition better.

Second, what do I miss? Most of those things on the list have crossed my mind a time or two--sleeping is another of them. Laying down at night and not opening your eyes again until the morning...that was nice. There is a window of sleep when the kid starts sleeping through the night but is not yet old enough for nightmares/bedwetting/middle of the night drinks, etc. And when you have more than one, nighttimes are really interesting... :)

Sometimes I miss the time I spent with Dan the most, just hanging out and being goofy. Now it's like we have PEOPLE to worry about...everything in life is a little heavier when your heart is out there walking around on two legs.

It's awesome though Rach. You're gonna do great, and you and Ked will carve out some space for yourselves and hang out sometimes and then find that all you do is talk about the kids...and then you will decide that's ok because it's the best thing you ever did anyway and a little warm body curled up on your chest is really better than Walmart at midnight and a cute little purse with no Desitin in ited.

Shadley said...

some how "-ed" got stuck on the end of "it." It is suppose to say "with no Desitin in it."

Anonymous said...

OK, the first few items, yes, they will be gone but you have time for three of them--clutter, TV content and breakables so love it as long as you can. As for showers, early on, my best friend was naptime and later the rollable high chair. As you can just imagine, Gabrielle LIKED to have me splash water at her while she sat in the bathroom while I showered. (Yes, we do know she will require a great deal of counseling in the years to come.)

The final countdown begins!!! Other than the feet, feeling OK?

BTW what's you email address?

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...