Thursday, July 5, 2007

This is the air I (can't) breathe

The biggest surprise symptom of pregnancy for me is my inability to breathe. Most of my symptoms so far have been mildly annoying, but this one is rather alarming at times. Yeah, yeah, the pregnancy books say "Your lungs are indeed getting enough oxygen for you and the baby," but this is little consolation when I am trying to lie down to relax and have to sit up suddenly and gasp for air. "Lie down on your side, not your back," the pregnancy books say, but I am not a natural side sleeper, and it hurts my hip too. So I end up choosing between a tender hip joint or oxygen. . . AAAAHHHHHH (I have to now type out my screams, as I don't have the breath support to actually scream them)!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh... I totally remember that. It was scary at times. I remember when the baby 'dropped' about a week before delivery, it was instant change and I remember thinking "ooh, I can breathe better" (something to look forward to!)

Shadley said...

yeah i had that too. and the hip thing. i ended up with like 8 different pillows placed in various positions to keep all my parts supported and relatively pain-free through the night (head, tummy, hip, back, etc.) by the 8th month there was no room for dan in the bed anymore! but at that point you're kind of mad that you ever shared a bed with someone in the first place...so it all works out. i had heartburn so bad too that i was practically sitting up to try to keep the fire down. i hope you don't have that. not too much longer though Rach!

Heidi said...

oh yes. those of us with short torsos really get the lung squeeze. I bought a twin-size mattress pad topper of memory foam for my side of the bed (it hung off the edge) to help with the hip pain. that pad is never coming off our bed--I love it! Aedyn likes it too.

hsletd: word verification AND the gasp of a short pregnant woman

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...