Saturday, August 4, 2007

My bowling ball belly

I feel like I have a bowling ball strapped to my mid section. And considering I've gained most of my weight in my belly (minus the water weight gain in my ankles), this is a pretty fair statement. Most of the time I can actually handle this, but sleeping has become very unenjoyable. And this is sad since I enjoy sleep so much :) It's not that it's painful to sleep, but just constantly uncomfortable. For the last 2 nights in a row, I have had to get up and either watch TV or move to the couch since I can't sleep and don't want to wake up Kedron.

My problem is twofold: 1) I have to get up to use the bathroom. Usually I can do this without really waking up completely, so it's easy to go back to sleep. However, my body is in such a state of discomfort that it wakes me up completely when I roll out of bed. And, 2) then my mind starts racing with all the things that pregnant women think (how many baby preparations still need to be made, when is this baby coming, will labor hurt, etc.) and then that keeps me up even longer. I am trying all the tricks I know (sleep with a pillow between knees, etc). Moms out there, do you have any suggestions for me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no suggestions. I do know God is using this to prepare you for some sleepless nights ahead with a newborn :)

I just remembered that towards the end the only way I could sleep was on my side with a pillow between my knees to relieve my lower back and a pillow under my belly (to hold the bowling ball) Try that?!?!

Anonymous said...

I think I already told you that I SO loved my Body Pillow to hug on one side and then on the other. I could actually just roll over without fully waking up and get some decent sleep. Now needing to get up and go to the bathroom was a different story.

Try, Try, Try not to think or worry about the things not done. I know you and Kedron--the things that are really necessary are done so let the rest go. It TRULY will not matter once the King/Queen arrives.

If you plan to have an epidural, the pain will be fully manageable. You KNOW I was in the hosptial for 29 hours before the Princess arrived so if I thought it was ok.......Also, I'm a SUPER wimp.

Shadley said...

ok, so labor does hurt, but not that bad that you have to lie awake and think about it. it's basically one day, then it's over.

sleeping...
i spent about the last month of each pregnancy sleeping on the couch because the back of the couch up against my back felt better than the bed. i also got up often to pee and then i would have to get a glass of milk to calm the heartburn. but i think the milk really did help me sleep some, so you might try that if you can. other than that, i just took monster naps during the day (well, for my 1st pregnancy) so that i was ok if i didn't sleep at night...though that might have caused some of the problem... good luck!

Heidi said...

4 or 5 pees a night for me! I also became a major nighttime list maker. Seeing those lists and dealing with them during the day helped me not worry all night.

You are sooo cute!

Anonymous said...

Well...however odd this sounds, I know a woman that found relief when stryofoam was piled up and a hold cut through them where she could lay on her stomach and the baby had his/her own little area. It allowed her to sleep on her stomach which she and her back were craving.
Not to practical.....but kind of comical:)

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...