Saturday, October 13, 2007

Colic and sleeping through the night

Thanks to all of you who have offered support and comments on your experiences with colic! After hearing what some of you had to deal with, I think that Micah has probably a milder case, so we are thankful for that.

Question for parents of colicky babies: At what point did your baby start to sleep through the night? Micah is a good sleeper, but I think his gas pains might wake him up at night. He can go 4-5 hours in one stretch most nights. While this is good, Ked and I in the stage where it seems like we'll be getting up at 2am forever!

I'm just waiting for that glorious day when I frantically wake up at 6am and rush into his bedroom because I'm sure something has happened to him, since he didn't wake up all night. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Gabbers certainly was NOT a colicky baby, but I understand two things can help; a wedge cushion to raise his head higher than his tummy and feet while sleeping and drops to break up the gas, called mylicon. The drops are a little pricey but both Target and Wal Mart make generic options.

GOOD LUCK! And again, PLEASE, PLEASE! more videos!!!!

Unknown said...

You crack me up. Always have. Micah is very fortunate to have you guys. No experience with Colic here. We just get tantrums (Colic for big kids?). After Micah is abou 12 mo., go back and look at all of these pictures/videos. It's great fun and sure to bring you both a lot of laughter.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I never had to deal with colic before, but I do remember struggling to get Luke to sleep well. I know its taboo but......we flipped him.....yes, my child sleeps on his stomach....Gasp....and he is still alive. I flipped him around week 3 to be honest. I can remember him having his "tummy time" and always falling asleep. Finally I just put the two together. Tummy = Sleep.
Best of Luck!

andy said...

hi rachel- jamie kampman here! :) saw your blog on emily's blog! cute, sweet boy!
abigail was the same way- have you tried those gas drops- generic target brand- we love those- used them a lot. she still has a bad tummy but she is a lot less fussier now as a toddler.
just a thought

Anonymous said...

hello. I'm Jillian's cousin. I have a 3 month old with colic. He's much better now though after I did some research about natural ways (not the stuff with alcohol, or strong gross tasting stuff) to reduce the gassy symptoms that lead to the screaming. If you're breastfeeding than drink some fennel seed tea about 1 hour before you expect him to nurse and it will make a world of difference. There are a lot of teas you need to stay away from when breastfeeding, but this one is safe. If you can't find it in teabag form, buy the herb in the spice isle and stain in hot water. Tastes kind of licorice-like, but huge difference. I still drink it once a day at about 3pm before his evening feed (when its the worse). I wish I had known about this when he was 1 week old. I go to a breastfeeding support group and have told other women about this..works for them too! Hope it helps.

How to help Australia

We've been following the news of our beloved Australia.  Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...