All right, we need some input on this one. Micah is sleeping well at night. He will sleep in his crib, flat on his back, and fall asleep on his own without pacifier or being rocked. Napping during the day is a different story. He does not sleep well in his crib at all. He basically needs to be propped up (in swing, boppy pillow, etc). He also needs to be held to go down for a nap. If I rock him to sleep and then set him down, he will sleep for like 15 minutes and then wake up screaming. If I pick him up then, he will be zonked out again within 5 minutes.
I know he's only 2 months old and we have tried letting him cry it out a few times. I'm not sure if this is the approach we should take or not! Plus I don't know what role his colic is playing in this. He does not seem to be gassy during the day much, so I don't think it's gas pains waking him up.
Parents out there, we need your suggestions! Is it OK to always rock him to sleep at this age? If yes, are we setting patterns that are going to be hard to break later on? If no, is it OK to let a 2 month old cry it out? Should I just set him down when he's acting sleepy and let him cry? If he falls asleep in my arms and I set him down, do I pick him up and rock him again when he wakes up, or let him cry it out then?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How to help Australia
We've been following the news of our beloved Australia. Some of you have asked whether the area we were in has been affected by th...
-
In Adelaide, we typically spent Saturdays visiting someplace new: a beach, a parkland, etc. And with so much to do, we rarely did the same t...
-
All right ladies and gentlemen, it's time to wage your bets on when Baby Bardwell will make his/her arrival. To play, leave a comment w...
-
I will be sending out an email soon, but thought our blog buddies should be some of the first to know. . . Baby Bardwell #2 will be arriving...
4 comments:
No easy answers and every child is different thus you have to do what you think is best for you as a parent and your child. From the experience of our three we would say the following:
1. If you continue to rock him to sleep you will have to break him of that at some point. Our desire was to nip this one in the bud sooner than later.
2. Listening to your child cry is really hard, but he will not die.
3. If he consistently cries for more than 30 minutes every day perhaps it's the colic?
4. Most kids WILL sleep when they are tired (unless it's a medical problem). There are some kids that just don't like to take naps and don't need as much sleep as the average kid, but this is rare I think and especially does not happen with a 2 month old.
5. Might want to check with your peds doc (you probably already have) and see what they say about this.
I highly recommend the book Heathly Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. I have gone to it many times with all 3 kiddos.
Rachel, my baby, had a hard time sleeping on her back from the day she was born. I would have to either rock her to sleep or let her fall asleep in her swing. This was not the case with Grant and Lauren so I really struggled with having to be so involved. Like Micah, she would usually wake up 10 minutes later after I layed her in bed. Finally, exhausted at 9 weeks of all this sleeping craziness, I put Rachel to bed awake on her stomach. She fussed for 1 minute and slept for 3 hours!!! Of course I was in there every 10 minutes checking on her, but it was the longest nap she had ever taken in those long 9 weeks! She has been a belly sleeper ever since.
Yes we did not tell the whole truth to the pediatrician about her sleeping patterns b/c at that visit Rachel would sleep on her back at night.
I was a closet mommy who had a baby belly sleeper. When people would ask how she's sleeping, I would say she struggles a little bit. Sometimes I would whisper to another mother, "She's a tummy sleeper" like somehow whispering it wouldn't sound so bad. But it was amazing to hear how many other mommy's had tummy sleepers. I am not saying this will work for Micah but it changed Rachel's life. Good luch with the sleeping. Get the book. Blog about what you try. Call me if you want to talk more.
Oh my goodness, he is so cute!!!
All 3 of my kids were tummy sleepers as soon as they could lift and move their head back and forth while on their tummy (about 2 or 3 months). I was completely out of the closet on that one! Angie- I'm willing to bet even Jesus slept on his tummy. You are forgiven, my child...Ha, ha:)
TOTALLY, not saying that's what you should do...just saying a lot of moms do that and you can try it and be guilt free. My nephew is about the same age and had the exact same problem...and that's made a HUGE difference, switching to his tummy. Also, we had to get room darkening shades because it helped them nap better during the day. You'd think a baby wouldn't know the difference, but mine did! They're exceptionally gifted:) I don't know, maybe something to try.
I agree w/ tummy sleeping - my first two started that at 6-8 wks old (Alec broke the mold & confused me by staying on his back!). Also LOVE the Sleep Book Angie recommends & it's not too daunting as you can read age specific chapters, altho the whole book is great. You only have to read part to get started. Both Jared & Alec were rocked til 3-4 mos old, and I'm pretty insistent that my kids be good, go to sleep alone, sleepers. Enjoy the rocking, but keep working toward him putting self to sleep. Now, after rocking Alec the first 3-4 months, he WON'T rock to sleep! Love you!
Post a Comment